8 Tips on Buying a Used Car in O'Fallon
Deciding On a New or Used Car
Decide whether you should buy a new or used Hyundai. Consider some of the benefits for buying a pre-owned Hyundai:
- All Certified Pre-owned Hyundai vehicles come with a warranty
- While some used cars will need repairs sooner than new cars, used cars are more reliable today than ever before
- Used vehicles usually have lower insurance premiums
- Used cars can be less expensive than new cars
— Used vehicles can be priced up to 30 percent cheaper on average than new vehicles
- New cars depreciate more than used cars
- You can find many used cars still under manufacturer warranty
- It is easy to obtain a vehicle history report using the VIN
- Used car loan rates have declined in the last few years, making monthly payments lower
Used cars may not offer the latest technology or the greatest new gadgets that a new Hyundai vehicle can offer, but you can get a terrific deal and be proud of your smart and economical purchase.
Plan Out Your Monthly Budget
Knowing how much you are able to spend when you begin your car shopping experience will help you avoid surprises and help narrow your vehicle search from that start.
You should estimate three figures that will guide you youe used car shopping journet:
- Down payment — How much cash can you put down on the purchase? The more you can put down up front, the lower your monthly payments will be.
- Monthly payment — If you are going to be taking out a loan to but your car, how much can you afford to pay on a monthly basis?
- Price of the car — Figuring out the previous items will let you determine a realistic price range to look for. You can use our payment calculator to help you determine what you can afford.
Once you know how much you want and will be able to spend on the purchase of your used car, you will have a better idea of what used vehicle makes and models will be the right fit for you to look for.
Finding the Right Used Car, Truck, or SUV
Consider your daily routine, and what additional activities you will need your used vehicle to assist you in completing. The following questions can help you decide what used vehicle type and model is right for you.
- How will you need to use the vehicle? Personal, business, or recreation?
- What is your lifestyle: Rugged and outdoorsy, inner city commuter, or somewhere in-between?
- How many passengers will you need to carry? Is this number likely to change in the near future?
- What type of roads will you be driving on: highway, city, off-road, or all of the above?
- Do you need to pull a trailer?
- How much cargo space do you need?
- What type of performance level do you need?
- How big of a concern is fuel economy?
- Do you prefer manual or automatic transmissions?
- If you have one, what is your favorite feature or function of your current vehicle?
- What options or features are a must have for you?
Finding Great Used Car Deals
Used car prices are based on several factors like vehicle mileage, reliability, performance, condition, and popularity.
All pre-owned Hyundai models are known for their dependability, but some models are more popular than others. It is a good idea to find out if the model that you are looking into is one of the more popular ones. If you are more pragmatic, it may be more cost effective to buy a different Hyundai model that is maybe a little less popular at a lower cost. That being said, it is important to not compromise on what you want too much - in the end, you need to be happy with all aspects of your used car purcahse, and that includes the look of your vehicle as well. If you are having trouble locating that particular used model, we can help try and find it for you with our online form.
Research the Used Vehicle.
Auffenberg Hyundai will provide you with all of the vehicle information that will help you decide if the car, truck, or SUV you have chosen is the right car for you. Before making a final decision you should consider the following:
- Price — will this fit into your monthly budget allowance? Also consider that we will work with you and your financing option to help create the best monthly payment plan.
- Standard features — do they meet your wants and needs?
- Specs and safety
- Warranties — will you be covered in case something were to happen to the vehicle?
- Resale values — when you are ready to purchase a different vehicle, what can you expect to resell this one for?
We also recommend you run a vehicle history report on car. There are several companies that you can acquire these reports from. The reports are based on the vehicle's identification number. or VIN for short. You will find out the vital information about the used car such as whether or not it has been declared a total loss by an insurance company, or evidence to reveal if the odometer has been tampered with.
Always Test Drive the Vehicle
You should inspect any used vehicle thoroughly to determine its condition before purchasing it. If you buy a certified pre-owned Hyundai from us, you can be assured that it has passed a thorough inspection, and is backed by the manufacturer's warranty. Buying a Hyundai certified pre-owned vehicle removes a lot of the guesswork about the vehicle's mechanical condition. If you are serious about buying a used car but have doubts about its condition, take it to a mechanic you trust. If it is a certified used car, there is no need to take it to a mechanic.
During your test drive, ask yourself these questions:
- Is the center console positioned in a convenient spot?
- Can you clearly read the gauges without having to take your eyes off the road for too long?
- Are there any warning lights on?
- Do you have enough headroom to sit comfortably without needing to lean forward to grasp the steering wheel?
- Do you have enough legroom to operate the vehicle comfortably?
- How big are the vehicle's blind spots? Do you have enough visibility around the vehicle to see the road?
- Does the car accelerate well?
- Do the brakes work well? Do you hear any squealing when you use them?
- How does the car handle when taking a turn?
- Does the ride feel comfortable?
- Do you hear any strange, grinding, or rattling noises when the engine is on?
- Is the engine too noisy?
Financing Your Used Car Purchase
There are three ways to purchase a used car:
- Paying in Cash — If you have the cash available you can save on paying interest rates
- Getting an Auto Loan from a Bank/Credit Union — Depending on your bank, you may or may not get a more competitive interest rate.
- Financing through the Auffenberg Hyundai — Depending on your credit scores and the current interest rates offered, we may be able to provide a very competitive interest rate. Get pre-approved for vehicle financing online to start the process.
Buy a Used Car
You should by now have decided on a used vehicle that you have selected fits your needs, lifestyle, monthly budget, you enjoy driving, and are confident is in good condition. The only thing to do now is to purchase your vehicle.
In most states you need to make sure you have insurance for the car before you leave the dealership. If you are not buying a Hyundai certified pre-owned car or SUV, you may want to consider purchasing an extended warranty to help with any costs in case something happens after you purchase the vehicle.
Today's Sale Price: $11,846
Today's Sale Price: $12,683
Today's Sale Price: $13,710
Today's Sale Price: $16,470
Today's Sale Price: $16,499
Today's Sale Price: $14,246
Today's Sale Price: $19,606
Today's Sale Price: $16,398
Today's Sale Price: $13,199
Today's Sale Price: $26,561
Low APR*2018 Sonata
Lease Offer*2018 Sonata
Low APR*2017 Accent
Low APR*2017 Azera
Lease Offer*2017 Azera
Low APR*2017 Elantra
Lease Offer*2017 Elantra
Low APR*2017 Ioniq Hybrid SEL
Lease Offer*2017 Ioniq Hybrid SEL
Low APR*2017 Santa Fe